MINUTES OF THE ANNUAL GENERAL MEETING OF THE ZINKWAZI BEACH RATE PAYERS ASSOCIATION
HELD AT THE OCEAN REEF HOTEL ON
8 DECEMBER 2016 AT 18H00
1 Registration on entry
2 Welcome and Apologies:
The Chairman (Nick Ras) welcomed members and non members and apologized for starting the meeting slightly late. 33 members were present and 13 apologies were received.
Nick explained that the venue was changed because of requests from members to have the AGM in the village. Some members indicated that the 8 December was too early to have the meeting. Nick informed the meeting that unfortunately the 8th was the only date that the venue was available. He also said that there would unfortunately not be the usual snacks after the meeting because of the high cost but that there would be a cash bar.
3 Approval of Minutes of AGM held on 17 December 2015
Proposed by Wendy Balcomb and seconded by Richard Armstrong.
4 Matters arising from minutes of AGM held on 17 December 2015:
This would be dealt with under the different headings.
5 Chairman’s report (Nick Ras):
Nick explained that when he was approached by Klaus Achtzehn, who was the stand-in Chairman, to take over the reins as Chairman, he agreed to it only because he believes that you cannot complain over things or demand things unless you are prepared to do something about it yourself.
Nick said that he was opposed to the different camps and infighting he experienced since moving into the village and stated that it was something to be changed because it was to the detriment of all residents and ratepayers.
With regards to the Admin Manager he stated that what she does for Zinkwazi is phenomanal. Nick said that he had accepted the position provided that Gail was there to assist.
Some of the committee activities he reported on were as follows:
5.1 Committee meetings – Regular committee meetings were held.
5.2 Operation clean up – Robert, our cleaner, has made great strides in the cleaning up of the streets in the village. Beaches were also cleaned twice a week.
5.3 Water supply – Still experiencing problems –Nick spoke to Mr Elias Bhengu from Ilembe to get assurance that they are monitoring the water situation in the village to ensure an uninterrupted supply.
5.4 Sidewalks and paving – Wendy is very active in helping to get our sidewalks walkable. Seagull Road – She was instrumental in getting the walkway constructed which was in the process of being completed. This walkway was discussed in committee and it was decided to get this done to enable beachgoers to access the beach safely when walking.
5.5 Toilet block – ZBRRA will assist KDM to get the unsatisfactory functional state of this project resolved and aesthetically pleasing. KDM have said that they would consider a proposal from ZBRRA. The committee is very grateful that one of our generous members has offered to contribute to making this possible. David Mealen, an architect living in the village offered to assist in the design. We would also look at the Deep Sea Angling and Boating Club facilities as well. KDM has given us permission to obtain the plans of existing buildings. The application form for this has been filled in and this project will be one of the main drives in the new year.
5.6 Website – has been upgraded, Gail, Wendy and Cliff, got together with a web developer and the site is now up and running. Nick informed members of the content on the website.There was also a page for the Neighbourhood Watch to enter their information .
5.7 Urban Improvement Project (UIP)– A questionnaire was prepared and sent out. There are 608 rateable properties in Zinkwazi – 19% of the possible 608 responses were received. In order to get an UIP approved, we need 50% &1 of ratepayers in favour of it . There is also a requirement that it must represent 66% of the value of the properties. 81% of owners didn’t take the trouble to reply. Nick presented graphs of the results and thanked those who assisted with the questionaire. The results will be taken to the committee to discuss the way forward.
Nick asked that everybody work together for everybody’s benefit to enable the village to work.
6. Report on Financial Statements (Richard Armstrong):
Richard presented the financial statements for ZBRRA and the Conservancy.
Nick thanked Richard for his dedication and hard work.
7. Report on Services (Gail Harris):
Water problems persist with pumps tripping out due to power cuts or power surges resulting in the silver tank not pumping to the top reservoir and in turn resulting in the level being low and not reaching certain areas in the village.
Telemetrics were installed to measure levels but unfortunately these are also now not working leading to huge frustration.
We are in consultation with the Municipal Manager to try to resolve these ongoing issues.
When we have a problem water is still being pumped from the Saddle Ridge reservoir in Darnall.
The commissioning of the Tugela pipeline will start at the end of January 2017.
Problems are still being experienced with garden refuse. Decision has been made by KDM to place this under Waste Services instead of under Parks and Gardens and hopefully this will improve matters.
A Contractor has been appointed after KDM had a lengthly court battle over disgruntled contractors who were not awarded the tender. This was resolved after many months. Gail managed to get Parks and Gardens to hire a private contractor to at least do one cut after 2 months of no trimming.
KDM Civils Department were lobied and they have started with the construction of a pedestrian walkway along Seagull to enable families to have safe access down to the beach.
Gail also organized through the Counsellor to supply 5 ladies to start the cleaning of the edges of the roads. Unfortunately they were only provided for 4 days. They then moved onto another area within KDM. Gail reported that she was trying to get another team to continue with this work. If all falls through,she would approach the committee to employ some staff to clear the edges and also the sand off the roads.
Toilet block/Lifesaver tower:
The Chairman has already addressed this.
Managed to get the potholes repaired but have been given a time frame of 18 – 24 months before the road can be re-surfaced.
Pietermartzburg Mounted Police:
Gail reported that we will have the PMB police and horses who will be patrolling the beach on and off from 23 December through to the 2 January. The horses will be housed in Leonatis Park for the duration. Please be aware of this and make sure dogs do not harass the horses whilst they are patrolling.
Eskom has appointed a contractor at last to repair all the street lights, poles that are leaning over and meters that are unstable. This contractor will be starting work in the village the following week, Tuesday or Wednesday.
8. Report on Conservancy (Klaus Achtzehn):
Klaus extended thanks to Cliff for organizing the events during the Christmas season.
He then went on to introduce Peter Saville who is also a member of the conservancy committee and was about to embark on a green project.
He went on to explain that Peter is going to rent the nursery area from the Conservancy.
He wants to set up a composting mulching operation that would collect and
receive garden refuse and turn it into compost. Peter Saville is one of the founder
members of the Conservancy and will be moving back into the village.
9. Election of 2016 Committee:
Nick asked if there are any objections to the current committee being re-elected. There were no objections.
Nominations were called for other members and no nominations were received.
Livia Isabelle suggested what we all get wheelie bins from KDM. Cliff Hatt said that the one problem was that the wheelie bins stood on the verge for long periods but black bags are collected immediately. Gail explained that there would be a cost incurred. She undertook to enquire from KDM.
Tanya Rutherford suggested that when there are power dips or the power in the village goes off, that residents contact Ilembe to let them know so as to avoid pumps switching off.
Cliff Hatt said that he foresaw a huge problem with regards the beach parking because 20 parking bays have been lost as a result of the walkway. He said that there would be chaos in season. Nick indicated that the committee would look at how the situation could be managed to minimize traffic problems.
The Chairman closed the meeting and wished all a happy Christmas and new year.
Nick Ras (Chairman) ……………………………….Date:……………………..
Gail Harris (Admin Manager ……………………….Date: ……………………