Zinkwazi Beach Ratepayers and Residents Association (ZBRRA) Activity News
Dear members and non-members,
As per our mandate and in the interests of preserving and growing our investments in Zinkwazi we share with you the ongoing project activity taking place in our village.
Caring for Zinkwazi
- Beach Facility Upgrades
In line with our wishes to upgrade and improve the image and attractiveness of our beach and facilities and in the interests of a more modern and uniform appeal, ZBRRA has developed upgrading proposals in consultation with Zinkwazi Deep Sea Angling & Boating Club (ZDSABC) and the Kwadukuza Municipality.
With work having prematurely started on a larger container and new position by Proud Ndlovu of Proud’s Pizza, ZBRRA, ZDSABC , Proud Ndlovu and community members joined hands to improve the design and construction of the deck and roof structure of the facility from what was originally intended by Proud. This was done as a pilot project in order to achieve a more appealing and accommodating look and feel which would be in line with the overall vision for the beach and facilities.
We are extremely grateful to the following persons or institutions for their contributions:
- Zinkwazi Deep Sea Angling & Boating Club for their generous financial assistance at short notice
- David Mealin of David Erik Mealin Architects for the architectural design and construction management time donated to the project
- Proud Ndlovu for his willingness to tie in with the new overall vision and increase his financial investment
- Ray Grundy of RJ Grundy and Associates for the donation of the structural design
- Warren Seery of Coastal Timber for their donation of and discount on timber
- Richard Wood and Bob Crisp for manufacturing and installing the balustrade
- Paul Tonks for designing and making a crimping tool for swaging the balustrade cables
- Nick Ellender for construction advice and the loan of an auger
- Albert, Danny, Alpheson and Mdu for the construction of deck, roof and structures
- ZBRRA for Project Co-ordination and financial contribution.
- Zinkwazi Neighbourhood Watch (ZNW) for the repair and replacement of lights in the area
ZBRRA continue to have positive discussions with Kwadukuza Municipality in planning the upgrading of the beach facilities. This is an ongoing project incorporating the Lifesavers building, public toilets and the ‘basket’ ladies.
- ZBRRA ‘Action Team’ is dealing monthly with the following:
- Cutting and spraying of Zinkwazi approach verges from the S-bend crossroads to our village entrance
- Verge road edge spraying and clearing of encroaching bush on all village roads
- Gutter clearing, bush trimming and clearing in Seagull Rd beach approach and car-park
- Clearing of gutters and drains in the village
We have now also tasked the team with eradicating 6 of the Category 1 alien invasive weeds both within Zinkwazi and along the approach to Zinkwazi. These are Bugweed, Lantana, Chromolaena and Inkberry amongst others.
- Street lighting
We are cautiously pleased to report that after almost 2 years of fruitless emails and phone calls to Eskom from both ZBRRA and ZNW we have been fortunate in finding the ear of a senior technician in Eskom who then requested us to provide a list of the most essential lights requiring fixing, to a maximum of 20-25. We have to the best of our ability identified and marked 30 poles and the good news is that in early July technicians were in the village investigating which lights were repairable and attempting to repair or replace bulbs etc. where possible. As at the end of July it would seem that only about 5 lights have been repaired so far. We will patiently continue to monitor progress, if any – and then institute a plan of action should the assurances that were given come to nothing.
Please assist us in caring for Zinkwazi by becoming a member of ZBRRA (if you aren’t a member already) and thus contributing to both preserving and growing our investments and maintaining our appeal to all who live, visit or holiday here.
Caring for Zinkwazi